Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mamma Mia - Out on DVD!


Having never seen the Broadway show, I was not sure what the storyline was for Mamma Mia. I knew it involved a girl trying to figure out which out of three of her Mother's past loves might be her father. She invites them all to her wedding (unbeknownst to her mom) and hilarity ensues. I decided to just watch it in the theater with an open mind.

I am a fan of Abba's music, love musicals, and like most of the actors in this movie rendition ,so I had a feeling I would like the film of Mamma Mia as a whole as well. And I definitely did. It really is an infectious, feel-good movie, even if the storyline is a bit far fetched. For the duration of the film you are transported to a world where you let your inhibitions go and just want to sing. I happened to be sitting next to two women in the theater who were so happy at the end of this movie that they asked me if I enjoyed it as much as they did. It was nice to see people around you bonding and in a great mood for a change.

The movie was filmed in beautiful Greece so the scenery is gorgeous. Meryl Streep is fabulous as always and she sings quite well too! Amanda Seyfried was great as her daughter in the film and the only singing that was a bit off came from Pierce Brosnan. It was obvious he was cast for his looks alone which is too bad. But everyone else in the cast tries to help you ignore his cringe worthy singing moments and they do quite a good job.

In this strange and uncertain economic time, it is nice to be able to see a film that will take your mind away from it all. I find Mamma Mia to be the perfect movie to do just that. It will most likely make you want to sing and dance along with the characters. Anyway, I look forward to adding it to my DVD collection so I can see it again whenever the mood strikes.

No comments: